Germination tricks

March 18, 2015

This year I have had amazing success with germinating my seeds.  While many factors come into play, the one thing I did was to try warming the seeding beds after planting.  I use a seed starting mixture (one small bag is enough for almost all of my starts), peat trays, and Gro Lux type florescent bulbs.  When I started the first "experimental" seeds (marigolds and peppers) during the first week of March I placed 100 watt bulbs under one of the trays to speed things up.  As expected, the warmer tray germinated much faster.  The problem was that the lamps did not generate a consistent temperature, and I was a bit worried about having a "jury rigged" setup.

I went through my junk collection and found two electric heating pads that I had salvaged years ago from an old instrument (I don't even remember what the instrument was!).  I attached the two pads to the bottom of one of my aluminum trays, and hooked them into a rebuilt "Veriac" (variable voltage transformer).


A plywood board holds the heating pads securely to the tray, and a sheet of 1/4 foam underneath provides insulation to reduce heat loss.


A thermocouple was placed between the large tray and the smaller tray holding the peat pots, and the Veriac adjusted so that the temperature at that point was 80 - 85F.



Even I was surprised when many of the seeds planted on March 13 had germinated by March 18!  I found a seed germination table that listed germination times based on soil temperature, and confirmed that this was normal.  The germination rates were also excellent (nearly 100%).  As of today only the peppers have yet to emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment