Garden update (May 2, 2014)

It has been two weeks since I updated things, so (unfortunately?) I have a lot to report on.  In general I have been lucky with the weather.  It has been too wet and too cool to do much work in the garden the past week, so I have been busy moving starts from the flats to peat pots and larger containers.  It looks like my timing on starting things was pretty good this year (luck, not skill).  I have the chicken wire "anti-rabbit" fence installed around the entire garden now,  and the electric fence is keeping the deer at bay.  The tiller (actually a cultivator) is working well, and by first using a garden fork to break up the soil to a depth of about 10" it does a fantastic job.  So far I have about 75% of the tilling done.  I have been moving perennials and taking out some of the ones that did not make it through the winter.


I started transplanting from my seed starter last week, and have actually transplanted some of the veggies (and flowers) I started in flats.  I only transplant about 1/3 to 1/2 of the plants that are ready in case Jack Frost decides to reappear!   The following is a summary of where things stand:



1)  We have potatoes!  I was almost ready to give up and start digging through the straw to see if there was any sign of life in my potato patch, but when I checked this morning I see one glimmer of hope.  I suppose this could be the only one to survive, but I bet not!


2)  Not much remains of my garage greenhouse!  I wheel the rack out each day the sun is out.  As I said above, I have transplanted some of the starts, and all appear to be doing well.  The photo here is my pepper collection for this years garden: California Wonder; Pimiento Cubane; New Mexico #6; miniature ornamental; yellow banana; Poblano; Red Mercury.



Probably 75% of what remains on the rack are annual flowers.  I have actually put out quite a few nasturtiums and marigolds (with plenty more in reserve).





3)  The peas are slowly making progress!


4)  The herb patch in the garden has basil (left image) and cilantro (right image) germinated from seed directly planted about two weeks ago.  Some "specialty" basil plants (Thai, spice bush) are still in the garage awaiting warmer weather.








5)  Quite a few of my container plants are getting a good start (two types of eggplant, Swiss chard).  I am also trying to revive some of the herbs that did not fare too well this past winter.












6)  The rhubarb has really taken off (see April 5 entry) and it may be pie time this next week!  The plants by the lattices in the background are acorn squash and yard long beans.  I have my poles set for the Kentucky wonder pole beans






There is still a lot to do, but it looks like warm weather is returning this weekend.   I will probably go ahead and start putting out tomatoes and peppers unless the long term weather forecast looks bad for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment