What rabbit fence?

May 31, 2014

I won't complain (too much).  My neighbor had major portions of his garden disappear in one day from the rabbits!  I had not been bothered since I learned from last years rabbit feeding frenzy that I needed a good rabbit fence if I was going to grow tasty plants (see earlier post--chicken fencing surrounds my entire garden).  Unfortunately, I looked out and noticed a cute (?) visitor hiding in the flowers inside my rabbit fence early this morning.


I finally cornered him (her?) and reunited junior with the parent that was hiding behind the garden.

 

I assumed that Mr. Rabbit had come in through one of my two gates (I often leave them open when I am working in the garden), so it was no big deal.  Later in the day I noticed that he/she had somehow gotten back in!  I went in and before I was done I saw at least six different bunnies.  I also found out that when they are that small they can just zip through the chicken fencing!

The only consolation is that they don't eat too much and will soon be too big to get through the holes.  I did have to put my hardware cloth cages (1/4" holes) around the kohlrabi which they apparently love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment