May update!

June 2, 2014

I can now sit back and enjoy the garden!  I finished the final transplanting earlier today and managed to get the weeds and vines out of the fence row before the evening rains (3/4").  New additions include two tomato plants from my brother Hank (Indigo Rose and a Ananas Noire).  He also gave me a pot with an "OCA oxalis species Andean tuber" (he grows weird stuff) which I transplanted into a larger container.  I will have to find a location for its "special needs".  I also transplanted a row of Swiss chard to complement the chard growing in the container garden.


Dinner yesterday evening was a pork stir-fry with zucchini, Swiss chard, Bok choi, sugar snap peas and fresh onions from the garden!  I am certain that this is the earliest I have ever had zucchini (yes they were small, but tasty).

 

We will probably be eating crookneck by the weekend as well!  If you look closely you can see the sugar snap peas.  They are tasty stir-fried and just raw in salads (quite a few disappear from the vine while I am gardening!)

The eggplants are also doing well--the ichiban are already starting to bloom and the black beauty are just budding.  I probably have too many in each pot, but they did so well last year that I decided to try again!


Finally, an update on the potato patch is in order!  So far things look good.  There have been several "sprouts" that have died (or at least disappeared), but as you can see from the photo below most of the shoots are looking healthy.


The first crop of bush beans are finally starting to form pods, so we should be eating fresh green beans from the garden in a week or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment